Tuesday, August 11, 2009

God is trying to tell me something...ok, God, you have my full attention...

Today has just been one of those days. Today is a Monday for me, since I did not work yesterday, so everything is off, right off the bat. I was awakened at 7:05 am by my radio blasting 107.5 as loud as it could get. I rolled over, hit the snooze button, and went back to sleep. 7:15am rolled around and the radio came back on. Man, has it already been 10 minutes? I thought. It had felt like another hour of sleep to me. Once again, I hit the snooze button and tried to fall asleep. 7:25am came and I knew I had to get up. I rolled over, and started my daily routine of getting ready for work.

For the most part, my getting ready went off without a hitch. My khakis had been washed two days before and stuffed in the bottom of a bag, so I thought they would be completely wrinkled. They were actually wearable without putting an iron to them. Great, I thought, that just cut down some of my time. I finished getting ready while my husband got dressed as well and I noticed that my khakis were a little snugger than they had been last week. I had to catch myself from getting down about my size/weight. Instead, I grabbed my bag, grabbed my phone, and headed downstairs to get in the car.

After dropping T off at work, I headed to work myself. I decided to stop at Jewel to pick up a snack or two instead of trying to spend an arm and a leg on breakfast that wouldn't fill me up. Once I arrived at the grocery store, I parked, locked the car, and headed in. Before I could get to the grocer's door, I dropped my house keys on the ground. You may ask why I had those keys in my hand. Everytime I go into Jewel, I forget to take in my keys, which have a rewards card on it that earns me money towards gas. I think that is definitely worth carrying.

I pick up my house keys, and my car keys fall. Once again I lean over, this time hearing a snap and a rip. The zipper on my pants was in tack, but the hooks didn't feel right. I stand up, only to hear something else fall. My lip gloss compact had fallen from my pocket. I bent over and picked that up, stood up, and my wallet fell. Anyone who saw me probably thought I was a bumbling fool. I finally got everything in my hands, and shoved them all into my pockets. I touched the front of my khakis and realized that the hooks had ripped completely off. As I tried to zip them, I heard one of the hooks/eyelets hit the concrete. I looked down to see if I could find them, but no luck. So there I was, walking into Jewel, pants undone, pockets full, and the weight of my pockets pulling down my pants. I managed to grab everything I wanted before heading back to the car.

Once I arrived at work, I parked, and headed back down the street to the building. As I was walking, I felt something under my shoe. It felt like I was walking on tissue or some other material that was lightweight but noticeable under my foot. I looked down--and the sole of my shoe was halfway off of my shoe. I tried to get the sole to go back into place, but gave up and just ripped it off as I walked across the street to the front door of my job. I was definitely bothered by this, as I have only worn these shoes twice--once this past Saturday and today. I've had them for four years, but never could figure out with what to wear them.

Once I went to my desk and dropped my bag off, I headed to the lunchroom to place my beverages in the refrigerator. The whole time I was walking, I felt the absence of a sole on the bottom of my right foot. It was like I had shoes on with two different heights. Granted, the height difference is barely if at all noticeable to those around me, but I can feel the difference under my feet as I walked. I got to the lunchroom, dropped off my beverages in the bottom of the fridge, and headed back up to my desk.

The day went by quite uneventfully, just another day at work. About an hour ago, I went down to the lunchroom to retrieve my beverages. When I opened the fridge, I noticed that my bag had been moved to the other crisper at the bottom of the fridge and someone had replaced my bag with their own. On a normal day, I would have probably gotten irritated at the fact that someone went out of their way to move my bag because of their own need to have some type of consistency. I would have thought, really? They REALLY need to move my bag just so they can put their bag in the same place they put it everyday? Is it really going to kill them to put their bag in another place, or SHARE the compartment even? But I didn't think any of those things. I just smiled, grabbed my bag, and headed back up to my desk.

I don't know what God is trying to tell me today. I just know there's something in the things that have happened. Maybe he just wanted to see if for once I could just not be bothered by what I would see as everything going wrong. I have, in the past few months--even days--been overwhelmed by different things which have made me think that so many things are going wrong. Finances, housing, weight, etc. have made me question myself and I have sometimes gotten entirely too flustered over things that could turn back around for the good at any moment.

Today was my day to show God what I'm made of and I think I did pretty good. I didn't get upset about my khakis--I just made a mental note to find my other pair when I get home tonight. I didn't flip out about continually dropping my belongings in the grocer's parking lot--I just kept picking things up and kept it moving. I didn't go nuts about my shoe falling apart--I just made adjusments and kept walking. I didn't get an attitude about someone moving my things in the fridge--I smiled and went and enjoyed my beverages.

By golly, I think I'm growing!!! I think that I am finally learning, through everyday mishaps, exactly what God expects of me!!! Although all these unexpected things happened today, I just kept it moving. Maybe because I made a mental note and texted T about reading Psalms 37 and followed through, I don't know. But I definitely recognize that today was an unexpected day, and I handled it pretty damn well. : )

No comments:

Post a Comment