Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Find Yoself!!!

"They're mentors, like it or not. They are mentors, and they need to show their good side."

This was a statement made by
Pamela Eyring, director of the Protocol School of Washington in response to the behavior of Joe Wilson, Kanye West, Serena Williams, and any other public figure/celebrity/athlete that has or will behave in a manner that most would deem unacceptable.

Here's my problem.

Why do we look to these public figures as mentors? I get the idea that they are in a prominent place, and that children and teens alike can look to them as examples of hard work, dedication, etc. But what about the mom that works two jobs, goes to school and takes care of her kids on a daily basis? What about the doctor who has spent hours and years perfecting his specialty in order to become the best in his field? What about all the countless everyday men and women who bust their asses to be the best?

We have sensationalized people in the public eye to a point where our children ONLY look to them for examples, ONLY use them as role models. I remember, growing up and wanting to be like my Aunt Denise. She was cool, calm, took care of her family, and didn't care what anyone thought about her. I can recall a specific instance where I broke down and started crying because I was stressed out about my family. Denise told me: "You tell them to go to hell. If it's not your grandma or your mama, you tell them to go to hell. No one should have you stressing like that."

I wish there were more people in our children's lives that our children COULD look up to--I'm tired of hearing kids talk about how all they want to do is play ball or be a star. Now don't get me wrong, there is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to do those things, but what children fail to realize is that these people in the spotlight WORKED HARD. Some children have delusions of grandeur where everything happens overnight and all is handed to them without any type of work. Children also tend to emulate what they see on television, in movies, etc. because they believe that is how the real world works. I love when folks get a dose of reality.

We need to talk to our own children, encourage their dreams, but don't let them think anything worth having comes easy. Yeah, they may have the talent, but they still need to WORK. Having a personal mentor that just happens to be famous is cool, but how many kids can actually say that their mentor is Pharrell Williams or Sean P. Diddy Combs? So I say it's cool to look up to those folks that set a good example, but we gotta make sure our kids have everyday heroes to look up to as well. Find Yoself!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment