Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Keep Ya Love Locked Down!!!

I hate traffic. That is the one thing in my life that I can truly say that I hate. If you know me and you know my husband, he can definitely tell you that hate is not a word I take lightly. Anyways, traffic is just this unnecessary thing. People don't know where they're going, don't know what they're doing, don't know how to merge, don't know how to use signals....they just don't know. I get frustrated cuz I've only been driving (legally) since I was 20, and I feel like I drive better than folks that have been on the road way longer than me. There's all these unnecessary accidents and all these fuels are letting toxins into the earth's atmosphere. Not to mention that stopping and then going and then stopping and then going and then...well, it's not fun. Personally, my feet and legs cramp, I get sleepy, and I get irritated. It's so much more relaxing when you're in traffic and you're just a passenger, cuz then you can just be an annoying backseat driver relax.

Life is simpler when there is less traffic. I made a phone call today, and while waiting for the person to answer, I got to listen to Kanye's Love Lockdown:

"I'm not loving you/the way I wanted to/What I had to do/had to run from you/I'm in love with you/but the vibe is wrong/And that haunted me/all the way home/So ya never know/never never know/Never know enough/ til it's over love/Til we lose control/system overload/Screaming no no no, no no.

I ain't loving you/the way I wanted to/See I wanna move/but can't escape from you/So I keep it low/keep a secret code/So everybody else don't have to know

So keep ya love locked down/ya love locked down (Repeat 2x)
You keep ya love locked down/you lose.


I'm not loving you/the way I wanted to/I can't keep my cool/so I keep it true/I got something to lose/so I gotta move/I can't keep myself/and still keep you too/So I keep in mind/when I'm on my own/Somewhere far from home/in the danger zone/How many times did it take til I finally got through/You lose/you lose

See I had to go/see I had to go/No more wasting time/we can't wait for life/Which is wasting time/where's the finish line

[chorus]

I'm not loving you/the way I wanted to/I met no one new/I got no one new/No I said I'm through/but got love for you/But I'm not loving you/the way I wanted to/Gotta keep it going/keep the loving going/Keep it on a roll/only God knows/Am I into you/baby I'm confused/You choose/you choose

I ain't loving you/the way I wanted to/Way I got to go/I don't need you/I been on this road/too many times before/I ain't loving you/the way I wanted to

[chorus]

So keep ya love locked down/ya love locked down/Keeping ya love locked down/ya love locked down/If you keep ya love locked down/ya love locked down/Keeping ya love locked down/you lose


Ok. So I know you didn't ask for me to recite Kanye's "Love Lockdown",nor did you ask me about my feelings on traffic. Just wait, I'ma connect it all. To me, the song sounds like a tale of trying to make a relationship work that for whatever reasons, just won't. Either this is the tale of a man who just couldn't get himself together, couldn't make the relationship work. OR this is the tale of man that was getting himself together and realized that in getting himself together, the relationships around him were changing or diminishing. Either way, relationships weren't working.

The word "love" is a big part of the song, seen/heard multiple times in the lyrics and even in the song's title. The lyrics made me think of how people sometimes mistakenly use the words "sex" and "love" interchangeably. There's countless sexually driven songs about a woman giving her "loving" to her man or someone else's man, or a man wanting his woman's "loving"or the "loving" of someone else, and absolutely none of it has to do with the true definition/meaning of love. I can't say what Kanye was feeling when he wrote this song, because I wasn't there, I didn't talk to him or get the chance to ask him. But the first thing I thought of today when I heard the song on the phone was that if folks just kept their "love" on lockdown, society as a whole would be in a better place. Folks wouldn't think it was ok to jump from bed to bed to make themselves feel good. Sex wouldn't just be this thing people use as a coping mechanism. Sex wouldn't be used as a tool in climbing the corporate ladder. People wouldn't have to tell their partner about all the previous partners they had, cuz there wouldn't be any. People wouldn't have to be scared of a STI test, cuz they hadn't done anything to contract a disease. Relationships that otherwise could have or would have worked end up falling apart because folks can't get over the fact that their partner has been with other people.

I've been married for almost a year now, and I realize that some things would be so much more simple had my husband and I had no previous sexual partners. Neither one of us is the jealous type, nor do either of us have pages upon pages of partners. The issue is that someone else got something before either of us got to experience each other. Now I'm not lying to my husband when I tell him he's the Best I've Ever Had (thanks, Drake), but there's still going to be the fact that he's not my first, nor am I his. I just think that life is simpler when there's less traffic.
AAAAAAHHHHHH, so THAT'S what this has to do with traffic!
Yep, it all connects now, right? No matter how you look at it, traffic is this noisome, bothersome pest that keeps people tense and on edge, just like a person having multiple sex buddies would understandably make that person's new partner on edge. I say all of this to get to a point. Whether you call it your "love" or just plain out call it sex, it's not meant to have heavy traffic. It's too special for all of those ins and outs, detours, heavy constructions and potholes. Folks can't "love you the way they wanted to," because in the back of their mind, they're still thinking about all the other folks, and whether they measure up to your past. Keep your "love locked down" or, "you lose."
My hubby, King Kito, has a blog on here too. Go check out King Kito's blog page as well. He's dope.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, I want to read your blog, but it's too hard to read.. the colours aren't right.. can you fix them please..

    ReplyDelete