Friday, October 2, 2009

New Music Experience

So tonight, I'm going to Double Door in Chicago to have my first live PJ Morton experience. My husband introduced me to him awhile ago, and I had been checking out some videos on YouTube of Mr. Morton. Let's just say, he's the Stevie Wonder of our generation. Just give him some time.

You may not recognize the name, but you'll definitely recognize his music. He's written songs for some of the biggest gospel, neo-soul and r&b artists. He's done musical and vocal arrangements, sang background, written songs for some of the dopest folks in the game. PJ Morton's music for himself is definitely dope as well.
I decided to purchase one of PJ's albums a couple weeks ago, Emotions. It was definitely worth my 12 bucks! It's all i have been listening to since I bought it. I also purchased his book, Why Can't I Sing About Love? It's basically about how some church folks tend to look down on what they consider "secular" music because it's not about God. PJ makes alot of sense in his book and some of the same ideas he touched on are some of the things me and my husband have discussed ourselves. PJ's music is about love, in all of its forms, and since God IS love, there should be no problem with him deciding to write music considered gospel, r&b, and neo-soul, ABOUT LOVE. None of that raunchy, babytakeyourclothesoffanddomerighthereandthenimgoingtogohometomywifeandkidsandiwillseeyouanotherday music. He talks about REAL LOVE.

Even his father, a prominent pastor/bishop in New Orleans says that he's been enlightened by PJ's book. He made a comment in the forward to the effect that he isn't going to put "Jesus Keep me Near the Cross" on when him and his wife are spending quality/romantic time together. It's all about the intention and the words in the music. You can definitely talk about love without all the nastiness. I hope you find that PJ is just as dope as I think he is. Click here to go to PJ's website and check out good reports on his book. Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment