Friday, October 9, 2009

BALLS OF THE WEEK #1...Melody Ehsani


So this will be something new I do every week, my BALLS OF THE WEEK series. I will be talking about someone on a level of dopeness not obtained by most. It's about the folks that step outside of what is expected of them and reach for something higher. It's about the folks that don't settle for normal. Normal is boring....

So if you know me at all, you know that I'm not a big jewelry person. Sure, I've bought plenty of necklaces (and given them away). I have a ton of earrings that I have every intention of wearing, but end up forgetting about until I decide to go through my bag-o-earrings every once in awhile.

I tend to wear the same studs everyday, and if I don't purchase anymore, will continue to wear those same studs until they fall apart. My previous studs before the current ones were disco ball-esque ones that I had purchased back in 2006 from Express. I wore them things until last Christmas, when my hubby, tired of the disco ball, gave me some new studs to sport around. Of course I was appreciative, but I'm sure he's already tired of seeing me in the ones he got.

The only time I really tend to switch it up, I end up wearing big hoops. Hoops just seem to be uniform to almost anything I'm wearing when we go out: movies, dinner, parties, concerts. If it's not work, I'm probably wearing hoops...with the studs now moved to my second hole.

Anyways, this brings me to my newfound appreciation for jewelry. I'm all about the creative, and this woman gets me excited. Melody Ehsani is a dope woman. Besides the fact that she went against everything expected of her and followed her passion, she a great designer. So she gets mad props on all ends of the spectrum from me. She's been in the accessory arena for a minute, but with shoes. Her shoes are dope as well, but her jewelry is just so creative. You may have seen her jewelry on Keri Hilson. Keri wears Melody's creations alot, and it fits her style. She's a pretty stylish chick herself.

Here's a screen shot from the Turning Me On video with Ms. Hilson wearing one of Melody Ehsani's pieces (the ring).




The great thing about Melody Ehsani's jewelry line is that there are some pieces that you can design to your taste. You pick whether the specific piece is silver or gold, you pick the colors, and in some cases you can even pick the word(s) you would like to appear on your jewelry.

Melody started designing jewelry because of Saul Williams. He needed someone to do the cover art for his album The Inevitable Rise and Liberation of Niggy Tardust. Melody turned out to be that person. She created him some pieces for his cover and the rest is history. She has a good creative flow. I think I'll be picking up some of her jewelry soon...

Born and raised in Los Angeles in a traditional Persian family, like many of my cousins and friends I applied to go off to law school after college, but I couldn't stay there. I decided to break with my culture and follow my heart into a field I was internally drawn to...design...CLICK HERE to read more about Melody and check out her shoe and jewelry lines. Dopeness!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment