Monday, January 2, 2012

2011 in Review: Some things I learned about Nayesha A. Pruitt Part II


Yesterday I started a list of the things that I learned about myself.  You can check it out here before you read this one...

11. Working, being a mother/wife, and going to school is definitely possible.

After almost a year of being at home with my son, I started working and going to school at the same time.  Whew! It has definitely been an experience, but I wouldn't trade it for the world, and I know that I will be able to tell my children that they can achieve all of their dreams, not just with words, but by example.

12. I don't need to explain everything to everyone.

Sometimes I've felt that in order for people to "get" me, that I need to automatically explain every decision that I make.  I've especially felt this way when I tell someone something about my life and get a confused look in response.  Like I said before, not everyone is going to get me.

13. I am extremely blessed.

I celebrated both my son's first birthday and my third year of marriage in November.  I also have been blessed to have such a supportive family.  My mother, grandmother, friends, husband, sisters and mother-in-love are some of the most awesome people that I could have been blessed with the ability to call family.

14. The past is the past for a reason.  Learn from the mistakes, but don't hold on to any of it.

I've realized that alot of my extended family (as well as immediate) live in the past.  They talk about the good times, their faces light up when they talk about a moment in their lives where they felt they were on top of the world, but in the present, they are lost.  I refuse to just exist or get by, to be subjected to only a certain way of life because I don't want more for myself.  Too many dreams have not been brought to fruition.  My children will know what it's like to have dreams and go for them wholeheartedly.

15. Blaming my parents for what they did or didn't do is for the birds.

I'm almost 30 years old, and in the past year I have heard multiple people (older than me, I might add) say that they have failed at various aspects of their lives because of something their parents failed to teach them.  Really?  My mom didn't teach me how to properly manage money, but I've learned.  My dad didn't show me how a man was supposed to love his children or treat his wife, but I learned what I should and shouldn't accept from a man, both by trial and error and through observation.  I just cringe when I hear people blame their parents.  To a certain extent, yes, our parents shape us into the people we become, by what they do and don't do, but at some point personal accountability has to come into play.

16. I will never make everyone happy.

This one is pretty self explanatory.

17. Family isn't relative.

Just because I share blood with someone doesn't make them my family.  Biologically related, yes, but if there is no relationship, there just isn't a reason to call them family. I have plenty of family that I share DNA with, as well as the ones with which I don't.  Either way, you know who you are, and I wouldn't trade you for anything.

18. I will never make everyone happy.

Had to reiterate that one for myself.

19. I'm my worst critic.

My time in grad school so far has really taught me that I need to give myself a break.  There have been plenty of times when I thought that my work was sub par, only to get a perfect score on various assignments.

20. I must work on my seriously delayed sense of urgency.

When it comes to the things that I want to do and work, I'm on it.  Those things that I know I have to do are another story.  I'm workin' on it...

21. I used to care what others thought about me, especially certain people that I share DNA with, but now I could care less.

These folks have neither a heaven nor hell to put me in, nor have they made any type of significant contribution to my life (and I'm not talking about money).  I should in no way rely on their opinions when they won't be there with me when I'm reaping all of the rewards of my hard work and dedication.


Have you learned anything about yourself in the last year? Do you see anything in my list that resembles your life? What do you do to get through your own obstacles?













No comments:

Post a Comment